Wednesday 7 October 2009

Qui est Ken Bruen? Breaking News from France!


So, who is Ken Bruen? Well, most recently, he’s the winner of Le Grand Prix de la Littérature Policière 2009 for his novel La Main Droite du Diable. That’s PRIEST to his English-speaking fans.

Some recent international recipients include Ian Rankin, Larry Beinhart, Arnaldur Indriðason and Camilla Läckberg. Check out this Wikipedia page for a history of the award and a full list of winners from as far back as 1948. And now Mister Bruen has done Irish crime fiction proud (as always). Congratulations to the man!

Funny thing, I planned to reread PRIEST this month as I’d finally read the copy of THE DRAMATIST me lovely missus had furnished me with when I passed into my thirties. PRIEST was the novel that introduced and hooked me to Ken Bruen’s work, and now that I’ve read the preceding four Jack Taylor novels, I intend to see if I enjoy it as much again.

My guess?

Je le ferai!

3 comments:

Michael Stone said...

Is that French for "Is the Pope a Catholic?"

adrian mckinty said...

Priest is brilliant. Tied for with Her Last Call to Louis MacNeice as Ken's best....


so far.

Oh yeah and Once Were Cops was an effing masterpiece.

Oh and American Skin too.

Better stop now, could go on all night.

Gerard Brennan said...

Mike - It actually means 'I will!' according to google translate. Wish I'd thought to translate yours though. That would have been far better.

Adrian - I concur with all on your list that I've read. Still to get my hands on the McNeice one. But some day, I'll have all the Bruen's. Muah ha ha ha ha ha ha!

Cheers

gb